1. What I'm Reading...







2. Summer Reading:

The worst thing about Summer Break is the brain drain that happens with children who don't pick up a single educational thing (aka book) during the summer. Some experts say that they easily lose up to 2 months worth of grade level education by completely vegging out the entire break. However, if you're like me, your children go to school in a district that is struggling to pay for the very basics of education and didn't even have the funds to create a grade-level specific summer reading list/program. What was sent home with my oldest child (rising 7th grader) met the reading levels of my younger two children (rising 2nd and 4th graders). Yep! And they wonder why our children are entering high school with 4th grade reading levels around here.

As an avid book lover, this just wouldn't suffice. I researched the various methods for "grading" a book's grade level as far as vocabulary and comprehension levels that should be attained after reading. Lexile was the site I loved the best. Most of all because it has built in a book finder database that goes all the way to graduate level books. My kids and I built our own lists this summer and then shopped used book stores for bargain finds. They have all read at least 2 books and we still have 6 weeks of summer left!

FIND A BOOK WITH LEXILE

3. My Favorite Photo Printer


This printer has been one of the best things I've ever purchased. It's making the work of putting together my daughter's "What I Did This Summer" scrapbook super easy. We go out, have a blast, take some pics, and come straight home to hook up the camera and print away. Makes a great gift for any photo lover!

4. My Favorite Comedian

Eddie Izzard...simply the best. As chaotic and serious as my life seems to be on a daily basis, this guy has the ability to make me laugh until wetting my pants becomes a serious threat. Check him out!

5. Most ludicrous news story of the day:

Yeah, I'd love to see how much money they'll waste ATTEMPTING to enforce this one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment